Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Twelfth Night Important Quotations

"I am the man." (II.II.25 - Viola)

This statement by Viola is obviously ironic. She is not actually a man! Tangled in the web of deceit of this play, Viola is becoming more and more lost in her own character. By living in this love triangle (or some kind of polygon) she is seeing herself like the rest of the characters see her, as a man. This realization of sorts is a nod to the fact that her disguise is the cause of central disaster in the play.


"... and yet to crush it a little, it would bow to me..." (II.v.143-145 - Malvolio)

By merely reading this quote, you may have no idea what it meant (like I did). But, upon revisiting the text, the situation Malvolio was in gives it all away. Malvolio is reading Olivia's note, which he believes to be intended for him. Yet, it is not! This quote shows that Malvolio has so much hope and trust in the fact that the note is for him, that he is changing the meaning to fit him because he wants the contents to be true... so badly.


"Viola: Then think you right. I am not what I am.
Olivia: I would you were as I would have you be." (III.i.148-149)

In this scene, Olivia is finally making her move on Cesaro (Viola). Although she is not truly a man, Viola cannot come out to Olivia without her entire plan falling to shambles. Particularly here, Viola is trying to hint to Olivia what her true identity is. Yet, Olivia is so "in love" and thick headed that she cannot see through these hints that Viola gives.

No comments:

Post a Comment