Sunday, February 21, 2010

After Act 1...

Not sure if I was supposed to blog this or not, but it's in my notes so...


After reading Act 1 of Twelfth Night, I can't stop thinking about the way people interpret plays and novels, or actually any story in general. I've sat through so many classes over the years, each one focusing on a discussion of the character's inner most thoughts and motivations. For instance, in this class we'll probably discuss something like "why Olivia is mourning and swearing off men for seven years" and we may discuss her past and her opinions on life. Yet, she has none. She is not real. She is a character made up by a playwright hundreds of years ago. I understand why we do this though, it can be a good thought exercise and whatnot. Yet, I can't help thinking about the absurdity of it all. Maybe it makes more sense to discuss how actions and emotions in the play reflect society of that time period, or Shakespeare (a real person)'s life itself. So I guess what I'm saying is that what I can't get off my mind is the way thinking and discussing plays differs for all individuals.

No comments:

Post a Comment