Monday, April 12, 2010

My Writing Center Experience

I never would have thought that the Hofstra Writing Center could help me so much on an essay, but it did. I didn't know what to think of the Writing Center before stepping foot in it, it was uncharted territory. Yet, when I entered the room in Mason Hall I was surprised of what was in front of me. I appreciated the size of the Writing Center; it was small enough to get a lot of personal attention, yet had enough people that my mentor and I could ask for outside opinions if we were stuck. The boy that was helping me (I don't remember his name) was open to working on whatever I wanted and helped me brainstorm my essay. He was very open-minded and treated me as an equal, which made the brainstorming session so helpful and relaxing. We explored the possible themes of my essay until we picked something that we both agreed would work.

Unfortunately, I had not prepared anything for my visit to the Writing Center. Yet, upon explaining the play and showing him a few powerful sonnets, we were able to start our work. Even thought I didn't have anything for him to critique, he helped me think outside the box for a unique and interesting paper topic. After the topic was chosen, he helped me work on my thesis. After writing a basic thesis down, we corrected it bit by bit until it was a solid point. Then, we had a quick chat about the general outline of my paper, then my time was up and I had to leave. So instead of making grammatical or contextual changes, I changed my blank paper into an idea that had a lot of potential.

1 comment:

  1. I wish you had included a few more specifics about the meeting. This post is a whole lot of TELLing. Why not SHOW how the conversation went?

    ReplyDelete